As a native Nevadan, I have seen Northern Nevada go through some of its best times along with some of its most challenging. I’ve also seen our community come together in the face of adversity time after time. I believe we should expect the same from our local governments and their representatives.
We need the City of Reno and Washoe County to work together, now more than ever. Like every family in our community the City and County need to find efficiencies in services to reduce operating budgets. We need to create an environment where City bid projects are awarded to qualified local contractors that employ local workers. We need to create a stable financial environment that allows the City to invest in redevelopment and providing the full services that maximize livability for our residents. I am committed to creating the unity in government that will build a stronger and more stable community. A community where once again local businesses will re-invest, out-of-state companies will consider for relocation and where jobs and property values ultimately blossom.
INITIATED THE RENO WORKS PROGRAM
- Initiated the program that provides temporary employment to homeless individuals and puts them to work cleaning up the River District in downtown
- Teaches employ-ability skills and provides long term employment support
- Emphasized financial stability for the city which has resulted in a debt pay down of over $100 million in the last 5 years.
FOCUSING ON INFRASTRUCTURE
- Facilitated numerous improvements such as the light in front of Bonanza Casino, crosswalks and flashers in front of schools and the critically important transportation growth infrastructure project, the Southeast Connector (SEC).
- Initiated the redesign of the spaghetti bowl to address the traffic, volume and safety issues to help meet the needs of a growing community
PEDESTRIAN SAFETY INITIATIVES – #LOOKUPNV
- Launched a pedestrian safety campaign with the City of Sparks, Nevada Department of Transportation, Regional Transportation Commission, Zero Fatalities and Washoe County
COUNCIL LIAISON TO THE SENIOR CITIZEN ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- Supporting issues surrounding the needs of our senior population including transportation supportive services, programs and outreach/communications
- Boost to the overall economic health and quality of life
- Annual economic impact to Reno in the hundreds of millions
- Grown by over 60% in the last two years